Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Name is Yon Yonson

I come from Wisconsin.

Which, incidentally, is where I have spent the last ten days. In Madison, my hometown. I can't seem to come up with a specific or cohesive theme to discuss here, (aside from the now infamous Series of Unfortunate Events that have recently transpired at the capitol) so I'll just present some random observations in brief summary...
But first, a primer on the awesomeness that is Wiscony:

Fact #1: Take that Minnesota!
Wisconsin has over 14,000 lakes and 7,446 streams and rivers. I think you'll find if you do the math that is considerably more than 10,000.

Fact #2: One word is enough.
Wisconsin' motto is simply "Forward". No big deal.

Fact #3: Helping men maintain their virility.
Wausau is the Ginseng Capital of the World.

Fact #4: We heart cows and healthy bones.
Wisco has more dairy cows than any other state (1,500,000), produces more milk than any other state -- and 15% of the entire country's milk.

Fact #5: Badger don't care.
Our state animal and UW's mascot is the badger, and undeniably badass animal. Seriously, though short and rather portly, a badger will take on a bear if it needs to. Texas's motto may be Don't Mess, but their state animal is a Longhorn. A badger could take a cow down at the ankles, eat it up down to the bone, then turn its ribcage into a veranda.

Anyway, just saying.
Its been a lovely trip of visiting old friends and seeing nearly everyone in both of my immediate families. A baby sister graduated from UW (she was, I believe, something like the 14th member of my family to do so... we're legacy!) A grandfather was honored with a memorial bench overlooking the lake. A brother got married. A nephew was schooled in the power of the slow burn rainy-night-sax-solo in Careless Whisper. Flowers were arranged. Sundries were wrapped in grape leaves and drizzled in olive oil. Cakes were decorated. Lilacs bloomed. Hair frizzed. Cheese curds were eaten. Arrangements were made. All was good.

Tonight I head out for a week in western Ireland! Updates to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment